- Language: Romanian
- Alternate names: Rumanian, Moldavian, Daco-Rumanian
- Language code: ron
- Language family: Indo-European, Italic, Romance, Eastern
- Number of speakers: 23498367
- Script: Latin script
Romanian is the easternmost member of the Romance branch of the Indo-European language family. It developed from Vulgar Latin during the 5th-6th centuries after the territory which is now Romania was part of the Roman Empire.
Romanian is the official language of Romania where it is spoken as a first language by 20 million people and is used in all spheres of life. Romanian is also the official language of Moldova, a former Soviet republic, where it is called Moldovan for political reasons. It is spoken in Moldova by 3 million people.
- Romanian verbs agree with their subjects in person (1st, 2nd, 3rd) and number (singular, plural).
- There are four conjugations.
- There are three simple tenses: present, past, future. Compound tenses are formed with the auxiliary verb avea "to have."
- There are five moods: indicative, conditional, subjunctive, and imperative. Most moods have one or two tenses, the indicative mood has eight tenses.
- There are three voices: active, passive, and reflexive.
Sample verb: a cânta
- List of Romanian verbs with irregular past participle
- Bulgăr, Gh.. Limba română. Editura Vox. Bucureşti, 1995.
- Candréa-Hecht, J.-A.. Cours Complet de Grammaire roumaine. Friedrich Fleischer's Buchhandlung. Leipzig, 1900.
- Grigorie, Toma. Verbe româneşti. Editura Universitaria. Craiova, 1994.
- Lombard, Alf et Gâdei Constantin. Dictionnaire Morphologique de la langue Roumaine. Editura Academiei. Bucureşti, 1981.
- Lombard, Alf. Le verbe roumain. Deuxième volume. Lund, 1953.
- Lombard, Alf. Rumänsk grammatik. CWK Gleerup Bokförlag. Lund, 1973.
- Rosetti, AL.. Istoria Limbii Române. Editura Pentru Literatură. Bucureşti, 1968.
- Tănase, Eugène. Traits spécifiques qui distinguent le roumain des autres langues romanes en morpho-syntaxe. "Actas do XIX Congreso Internacional de lingüística e filoloxía románicas. Publicadas por Ramón Lorenzo. V Gramática Histórica e historia da lingua. Fundación ""Pedro Barrie de la Maza, Conde de Fenosa""". A Coruña, 1993.
- Hoffman, Christina. Romanian Grammar. Hippocrene Books. New York, 1998.