- Language: Macedonian
- Alternate names: македонски јазик, makedonski jazik, Slavic, Macedonian Slavic
- Language code: mkd
- Language family: Indo-European, Slavic, South, Eastern
- Number of speakers: 159824
- Script: Cyrillic script
Macedonian is the official language of the Republic of Macedonia and is a part of the Eastern group of South Slavic languages. It is also referred to by several alternative names, many formed with the word Slavic. Macedonian is closely related to Bulgarian, with which it is mutually intelligible, and to a lesser extent with Serbian.
Macedonian verbs agree with their subjects in person (1st, 2nd, 3rd) and number (singular and plural). Verbs are marked for the following categories:
- Tense There are three tenses: present, past, and future. Present, imperfect, and aorist are expressed by simple forms, all the other forms are represented with the auxiliary verbs sum " be" or ima "have".
- Aspect There are two aspects: imperfective and perfective. Perfective verbs are usually formed by prefixation.
- Mood There are four moods: indicative, imperative, conditional, and hypothetical.
Verbs can be grouped according to the endging of 3rd person singular in present tense:
- -a (гледа-to watch)
- -e (пее-to sing)
- -i (брои-to count)
Sample verb: гледа