Middle FrenchConjugate Verbs
- Language: Middle French
- Alternate names:
- Language code: frm
- Language family:
- Number of speakers:
Middle French is a historical division of the French language that covers the period from the 14th to the early 17th centuries. It is a period of transition during which:
- the French language became clearly distinguished from the other competing Oïl languages, which are sometimes subsumed within the concept of Old French
- the French language was imposed as the official language of the kingdom of France in place of Latin and other Oïl and Occitan languages
- the literary development of French prepared the vocabulary and grammar for the Classical French spoken in the 17th and 18th centuries.
The Middle French Verb
Middle French VerbtablesThe following colors are applied in the Middle French verbtables:
- Black color is used for attested forms that follow the pattern of auto-generated forms.
- Purple color is used for other attested forms.
- Grey color is used for auto-generated forms.
Auto-generation of conjugation is based on statistical analysis of the attested forms. The ending is compared with the verb stem, and a suitable ending is chosen from the most frequent one.