- Language: Mohave
- Alternate names: Mojave
- Language code: mov
- Language family: Cochimi-Yuman, Yuman, General Yuman, River Yuman
- Number of speakers: 100
- Vulnerability: Dormant [Read more...]
- Script: Latin script.
Mojave or Mohave is the native language of the Mohave people along the Colorado River in northwestern Arizona, southeastern California, and southwestern Nevada.
The Mohave Verb
Verbs are typically denoted via the addition of the suffixes -k and -m
- Tenses are split up into present/past and future.
- The past and present tense are marked by the usage of -k, -m, and -pc^.
- The future tense is marked by the lack of any such marker.
- 1st person subjects are expressed through the usage of ?- while n^j represents first person arguments.
- 2nd person subjects and arguments are denoted by m-
- 3rd person is marked by the lack of either of the two.
- to bite -- ča=kʸoː-k
- to burn -- ta=poːm-m
- to come -- i=ðiː-k
- to die -- i=puy-k
- to eat -- ʔič=a=ma-m ~ ʔič=a=maː-m
- to fly -- i=yer-k
- to give -- ay-m ~ aay-m
- to kill -- ta=puy-m
- to know -- suːpaw-m
- to lie -- i=ðik-k
- to say -- i-m
- to see -- i=yuː-k
- to sit -- i=va-k
- to sleep -- i=sma-m
- to go -- i=ye-m-k