Misiones Swedish is linguistic variety of Standard Swedish language. It is spoken in Misiones province in Argentine.
Misiones received many immigrants mostly from Europe coming mainly from Southern Brazil, thanks to a Immigration and Colonization Law proclaimed in 1876. Also the Swedish settlers that lived in Southern Brazil migrated to Misiones during the period of 1900-1928. For this reason Misiones Swedish contains both Portuguese and Spanish loanwords.
Misiones' agricultural colonies and experimental farms, the orange and grapefruit tree plantations and the cultivation of yerba mate, the mills and the dryers for such product are characteristic from this area. Swedish-Argentines became well known for growing Yerba Mate.
The verb inflection follows that of standard Swedish. A denominating feature is the borrowing of Spanish and Portuguese verbs in the vocabulary. These verbs are conjugated like regular 1st conjugation verbs in standard Swedish.
A special feature in Misiones Swedish is the usage of se pronoun in reflexive verbs. E.g., tratta se (<- Sp. tratarse)
Sample verb: arregla
- Infinitive: arregla
- Present: arreglar
- Past: arregla / arreglade
- Supine: arregla / arreglat1
- The supine ending in t is hardly attested.
- arregla (<- Es. arreglar) to regulate
- ficka (<- Pt. ficar) to be located
- firma / firmera (<- Sp./Pt. firmar) to firm
- plicka (<- Sp. aplicar) to apply
- falla (<- Pt. falar) to talk
- Flodell, Gunvor. Misiones-Svenska. Språkbevarande och språkpåverkan i en sydamerikansk talgemenskap . Uppsala, 1986.